Saturday, January 18, 2014

Yea for DonorsChoose!

I wanted to write a quick post about how grateful I am for DonorsChoose.org.

This is a great website that connects generous people with needy classrooms. Since my school doesn't have the funding to give me a budget for art supplies for my classroom, most of the supplies that I have are things that are left over from the art teachers that teach other grades at my school. I tried going to many different stores and companies to ask for donations. I got a small gift card from Sam's Club and Walmart. The best resource that I have found is DonorsChoose.org.

Here is how it works:

  1. Teachers create a profile for their class that gives information (but not their specific school).
  2. Teachers create a "project" - they pick out supplies that they need from selected online stores and write about how they are going to use the supplies in their classroom.
  3. That "project" stays online for a few months. Donors can donate to the "project". Donors can search for projects based off of keywords, subject matter, grade level, or location. Sometimes large companies will also donate to projects.
  4. Once the project is funded, DonorsChoose.org orders the supplies for the teacher and ships them.
  5. To thank donors, teachers post online: pictures of students using supplies and a letter telling how the supplies were used. For most projects the teacher also sends a thank you card signed by students. 
Because of this great website I have been able to:
  • get linoleum and cutting tools with my 9th grade students to make prints
  • get acrylic paint (the only paint that I have)
  • get paper for drawings and paintings
  • get clay and glaze to make pottery with my students
They have made my semester better, and I'm sure my students appreciate the fun supplies that we have been able to use!


No comments:

Post a Comment